HDR Picture of the day - St. Paul's Church Melaka

Posted by on | |

At the Porta de Santiago of A Famosa Fortress, looking up to the summit of the hill, you could easily spot the sights of ruins surrounded by thick bricks. The ruins, known as St. Paul’s Church situation at the summit of St. Paul’s Hill, is another valuable heritage structure found in Melaka. The St. Paul’s Church is easily accessible via a stairway on the gentle slope of St. Paul’s Hill.

The St. Paul’s Church of Melaka was originally a Portuguese chapel built by Duarte Coelho in 1521, in gratitude to Our Lady of Grace (Joao de Barros of the 16th century) for a miraculous escape from an attack on his ship by a fleet in the South China Sea. This chapel was known as Chapel of the Mother of God (Madre de Deus) or Our Lady of the Hill (Nossa Senhora do Oiteiro). In 1548 the Archbishop of Goa in India, Don Albuquerque, handed over the church to the Society of Jesus. St. Francis Xavier, the pioneering Catholic missionary of Southeast Asia, received the title deeds on behalf of the Society.

GPS Coordinate: N2.19261 E102.24941

source from : http://www.amazingmelaka.com/2006/01/29/st-pauls-church/